Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mind the Gap

After venturing around London and Paris for my first two weeks in Europe, it was time to snap (somewhat) back into reality. My classes and internship started two weeks ago and sans the lengthy trip I have to take back and forth to work (a.k.a. I have to wake up at 6 a.m.), everything is great!

The two classes I'm taking are called World Media Industry & Society and Gender. They both seem pretty interesting, and I'm loving the fact that there seems to be no such thing as homework here, only week-to-week reading assignments.

My internship is working with the media team at the headquarters of an organization, which is sort of like Boy Scouts of America at home, except the members can be boys and girls. I really like it so far, and I was pleasantly surprised to to find out on my first day that Bear Grylls (the really intense host of "Man vs. Wild" on the Discovery channel who eats bugs/crawls around ridiculous places all over the world) has an office in the building because he's the "Chief Scout"! This, of course, would be much cooler if he ever showed up. My main job is doing public relations-ish stuff, and last week, I went to an event where we had to media train members to talk to journalists as Scouts spokespeople. It was a lot of fun, and if you've ever heard a kid with a British accent, you know that it's probably the cutest thing ever.

Since it takes me so long to get to work, I've been spending a lot of time on the tube. If I had a dollar for every time I heard the automated Underground voice say "mind the gap" (that is, the one between the train and the platform), I'm pretty sure I would be well on my way to becoming a millionaire. The tube and all of London's transportation really is awesome though, and it's great on the weekends too.

Last night, we went to a club called Ministry of Sound, which is the #6 rated club in the world. Ministry Website : There's a link on the left if you want to check out some pics :) If I had to sum it up in one word, I think I might go with "intense"--maybe not the same type of intense as Bear Grylls, but still. There were so many different rooms and floors, and Fedde Le Grand was one of the DJs on board last night, so it was really exciting. We somehow managed to not have to wait in the insanely long line to get in and stayed until about 3 a.m. It was very Euro-club style, and totally worth it for dancing and the whole experience. Here's some Fedde Le Grand stuff if you're interested!: Fedde Music Vids

Also, I mentioned in a previous post that I was walking a lot around London and, therefore, would be okay with not joining a gym. As it turns out, all the walking wasn't balancing out my diet consisting of Nutella and Uncle Ben's microwaveable rice, so I caved in and bought a membership to City University's gym. Now it's just a matter of finding time to go!

1 comment:

  1. Krystin I love reading about your fabulous life!!!! I am BEYOND jealous of you and it sounds like you're having a great time. :)
    <3 Colleen

    ReplyDelete